Shenzhen, China, February 25, 2022 – GIGALIGHT, the open optical network device explorer, officially announced the launch of carrier-grade 100G QSFP28 LR1 and 100G QSFP28 ER1, which can be used to replace the 100G QSFP28 LR4 and 100G QSFP28 ER4 Lite in 100GE networks to reduce the CAPEX of data center interconnection.
The two newly launched optical transceiver modules adopt single-channel cooled EML with carrier-grade air-tight package, which fully meets the application of carrier-grade reliability. The line-side adopts 100G PAM4 DSP chip integrated with the end-to-end KP4-FEC and RS-FEC. The host electrical interface supports 4 channels of 25G NRZ electrical signals side through the gearbox. Both of the LR1 and ER1 modules meet the commercial operating temperature range (0~70℃).
The new products feature the following highlights:
- The DSP inside the modules integrate the RS-FEC function, which is compatible with the 100GE switches that adopt with 4x25G electrical interfaces.
- They can be directly interconnected with the 400G modules based on 4x100G PAM4, which further improves the capacity of the link and the flexibility of networking.
- They can replace the 100G QSFP28 LR4 and 100G QSFP28 ER4 Lite that carry 100GE services. Especially, the 40km transmission capacity of 100G QSFP28 ER1 can meet the DCI applications.
- Only one optical chip is adopted at the transmitting end and the receiving end, which makes the product design more concise, and the cost of the module is reduced as well as the cost of production and manufacturing.
- Less production man-hours and lower manufacturing costs are achieved by adopting the traditional TO air-tight packaging with more compact design.
- The maximum power consumption does not exceed 4W, and the power consumption will be further reduced with the evolution of DSP chip technologies.
The table below shows the comparison between GIGALIGHT’s 100G QSFP28 LR1 & ER1 (including the 100G QSFP28 LR1 silicon photonics transceiver launched recently) and traditional 100G QSFP28 LR4 & ER4 Lite optical transceiver modules.
|Objects\Products||100G QSFP28 LR4||100G QSFP28 LR1 (SiPh)||100G QSFP28 LR1 (EML)||100G QSFP28 ER4 Lite||100G QSFP28 ER1 (EML)|
|Line-side Rate||4x25G/28G NRZ||1x100G PAM4||1x100G PAM4||4x25G/28G NRZ||1x100G PAM4|
|Host-side Rate||4x25G/28G NRZ||4x25G NRZ||4x25G NRZ||4x25G/28G NRZ||4x25G NRZ|
|Transmitter||4x DML LWDM4 MUX||1x CWL + MZM COB Package||1x EML TO Package||4x DML LWDM4 MUX||1x EML TO Package|
|Receiver||4x PIN LWDM4 DEMUX||1x PIN COB Package||1x PIN TO Package||4x APD LWDM4 DEMUX||1x APD TO Package|
|Signal Process||CDR||DSP & Gearbox||DSP & Gearbox||CDR||DSP & Gearbox|
|Built-in RS-FEC||No||Yes (optional)||Yes (optional)||No||Yes (optional)|